Friday, 23 March 2007
I Love My Kids
We were in Kirkland last Lord's Day for the all-day-meeting. We haven't been for such a long time. I really noticed a change in the people there. Not personality or anything like that. It just seemed like there were different people than before, that's all.
The adult bible class was very good. They were in Ephesians 5. Very, very practical advice for parents of young children. And very, very sobering for those of us whose children are grown. Four or five things to remember in raising children.
1. Do not discipline in anger (I often put my children "in ward" until I could figure out what to do with them and until I could simmer down. "In ward" was their bedroom. )
2. Don't "roast" the brethren. (Criticism of the people you really do love is deadly).
3. Be in agreement as parents. Forbid them from playing one against the other.
4. Have rules with relationship. The kids need to know that there is love behind the rules and that they are not arbitrary.
5. Let the children know that ultimately they have to do with God and are responsible to Him.
Well, that about does it for me. I feel slain.